In the days before online betting and casinos sites, some people were turned off gambling due to the supposed unwelcome atmosphere at high street bookies. The jargon and language may also have put off potential punters.
But with the arrival of online betting, those apparent barriers have been torn down and – along with the bookmakers’ concerted efforts to bring betting to groups of people that may not have felt it was for them before – the industry has a higher visibility in everyday life than ever before.
The ease of online betting
One of the main attractions of online betting is how simple the process is now. There are still all the betting possibilities that were there before (even more to be honest!) but betting sites have made it very easy to understand what to do – even for someone with no previous experience of betting.
First things first
The first thing you need to do if you are looking to place a bet online is to sign up with a site. There are more and more to choose from all the time but all the traditional high street bookies have their online businesses these days – as well as newer digital-only companies that have brought a new level of professionalism to the industry.
You have to register with an online betting site to give both parties the security needed for the financial transactions that are to take place. It is a good idea to do some research before signing up to make sure you are comfortable with the site – and also to check out the various welcome offers that can be taken advantage of.
Placing the bet
Once you have signed up with a site you can go ahead with the actual placing of a bet. You will see that there are hundreds of different options when it comes to the type of bet you can go for but we are going to concentrate on a simple bet that you will see on any sportsbook.
- Choose the sport you want to bet on and find a suitable event
- The odds for a home win, draw and away win will be presented in three separate boxes next to a fixture (sometimes these may be identified as 1, x and 2 or H, D and A) along with their respective odds
- Choose which outcome you want to bet on and click on the odds
- This will automatically be added to your bet slip which will usually be visible next to the list of markets
- If this is the only bet you want to make you can enter the stake in the box provided. Usually, you will be able to see what the potential returns will be if your bet comes in
- If you are happy with that selection you can then click the ‘place bet’ button and your bet will be confirmed. Until you do this your bet won’t have been placed
- Then just wait for the result!